February 9, 2010

I had a good weekend in Charlotte and Columbia.  It was good to see some of my friends.  I was overambitious in my apartment hunt, trying to pack 10 properties into one day, and ended up not going to see 3 of them due to time and fatigue.  When I was on my way to Charlotte, my plan was to get all 10 seen by 3 pm.  Well, that didn’t happen.  It wasn’t until after 5 that I had finished seeing the 7 I wanted to and that was after deciding not to go to 3 of them.  By 4pm I was so tired of seeing apartments and driving all over that I was really glad that I decided to skip 3.  The good news is I have 2 possible places to live, both are very nice.  One is newer construction and the other is brand new.  There is a significant difference in price, and with nearly everything else being equal (except the kitchens), I will go with the least expensive since saving money is always a good plan.  I didn’t get out of Charlotte until after 5 and I headed to Columbia to spend Saturday and Sunday with Flip.  It was good to see her.  We discussed the various apartment choices and decided on the 2 we liked the best.

On Saturday I woke up feeling awful.  I had the same problems that I was having in January with the GI upset and all that.  I took my medicine and ate some waffles.  I felt much better as the day progressed.  I spent the whole day watching college basketball.  I don’t really pay attention to college basketball until January.  I watched Texas lose to Oklahoma, Virginia lose to Wake Forest in OT, and caught part of South Carolina and Tennessee.  Flip and I rented Up.  It was not as good as Wall-E or The Incredibles, but it was still very good.  Pixar makes some of the best movies out there and they continued that with Up.  On Sunday I felt great and drove home.  They got a major snowstorm in the DC area while I was gone, and the roads were great until I got to my county, which looked like it hadn’t been plowed at all.  At any rate, I made it home safely and was able to catch about half the Super Bowl.  I was happy that the Saints won, mainly because I can’t stand the Colts or Peyton Manning.

Monday I woke up feeling awful again.  I was running a fever too.  I called my doctor and he wanted to see me in his office.  I headed up there and got some fluids and was admitted to the hospital so they could do a sygmoidoscophy, which is a fancy way of saying sticking a camera up your ass.  I couldn’t eat or drink anything yesterday or last night because of the scope, so I was hungry and a little irritable.  I was glad that I was in the hospital because I continued to run a fever all day and night yesterday.  Around 2 am my fever finally broke and I’ve been feeling better since.  The scope went well and I got to eat for the first time in over 24 hours.  They have me on a liquid diet, which isn’t very satisfying, but better than nothing.  I might be allowed real food tomorrow.  I also had a chest x-ray and CT scan to look for any infections.  I was placed on antibiotics in the meantime and am receiving IV fluids.  The chest x-ray showed a possible infection of an unknown type.  It is almost identical to the infection that I had in November when I was at Duke.  I don’t feel like I have a lung infection.  My breathing has been fine and my oxygen level is fine.  Either way, the doctors will figure it out and treat it as best they can.  They’ve taken lots of samples, cultures, and what not so they should be able to figure it out.  I should be out of here Thursday or Friday.


5 thoughts on “February 9, 2010

  1. Hope you’re enjoying the more spacious room, but so sorry to hear about your most recent ordeal. Look forward to reading about the helicopter ride.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s